Monday, October 17, 2011

September - Ted talks

I spent a bit of time reviewing resources on the articles and links site.  I viewed "Dan Meyer: Math class needs a makeover." He argues that the "store bought" math curriculums remove any sort of real problem solving and that math reasoning skills are therefore not being nurtured or cultivated.  He believes that children disengage from the problem because they believe there is a simple formula to apply or an example to copy.  He states that math books provide too much scaffolding and take away any chance at "patient problem solving."  He suggests removing all of the layers that the book provides and encourage kids to join in the conversation and to allow them to define the problem. 

I couldn't agree more.  Although I am a fan of the Everyday Math program I do see a real need for problem solving activities.  The problems that are presented to my students through the text are incredibly simplistic.  Dan Meyer redefines the problems his students encounter by putting them in real life context and by removing all of the given information.  One problem I would have with implementing this type of approach is the time factor.  I don't know how to find anymore time in our day. 

1 comment:

  1. I too have mixed emotions about Everyday Math. On the one hand I like the mental math, games and our updated version of the program. On the other hand the students don't have to make many choices when problem solving. They generally know what skill they'll be using each day and implement it. Rarely are they challenged to think about what skills they'll use to solve a problem. Students should practice making the types of decisions that are required when solving real world problems.

    ReplyDelete